When Emily Wayborn goes home to visit her mom while on hiatus from her hit TV show, she receives a voicemail from her former best friend, Amber. Though the two were once notorious party girls, they haven’t spoken in years. Although the message might sound benign to anyone else, Amber uses a safe word that Emily recognizes, a word they always used to get out of sticky situations during their wild days. And what’s more chilling than the voicemail: it turns out that Amber has gone missing.
Determined to track down her friend, Emily follows a chain of clues that lead her to the enigmatic billionaire Reeve Sallis, a hotelier known for his shady dealings and play boy reputation. Now, in order to find Amber, Emily must seduce Reeve to learn his secrets and discover the whereabouts of her friend. But as she finds herself more entangled with him, she finds she’s drawn to Reeve for more than just his connection to Amber, despite her growing fear that he may be the enemy. When she’s forced to choose where her loyalty lies, how will she decide between saving Amber and saving her heart?
Have you ever read a novel that completely left you filled a million different thoughts and tumultuous emotions, yet you were unable to fully articulate what you thought about it? Yeah, that’s me right this second.
I completed this book in less than 24 hours. It is one that is so complex and intriguing that after putting it down for a short break I just HAD to pick it back up to find out what happened next.
As I mentioned above, this book is really hard to review so please excuse any word-vomit that might ensue within the next few paragraphs.
There were many things that I absolutely loved about this novel! I will list them down below:
- Laurelin has a great way with words. Her writing is impeccable!
- The pacing of the book was done perfectly. She knew when to take it slow and when to take it up a notch. That is one of the main reasons that made it so incredibly difficult to put down.
- The plot line was executed perfectly. First of all, that synopsis had me rushing to request this book as soon as humanly possible and let’s not forget that gorgeous cover! First Touch completely took me by surprise in terms of being different than what I expected which is a good thing in my eyes.
- I like when books take me out of my comfort zone and this one, without a doubt, accomplishes that.
- It is a fascinating, dark, and chilling book that still has my mind reeling.
With all of that said, I did deduct one star and I’ll tell you why without spoiling anything for you:
- I really did not like Reeve who is the main male character. He came off very egotistical and overly-controlling. Emily, on the other hand, was hard to connect with. Don’t get me wrong, I liked her persona and I enjoyed reading from her POV, but some of the stuff she did were total head-scratchers. Nonetheless, I really cared about her character and was rooting for her all the way.
- I am extremely conflicted when it comes to certain events that occur in this book. Emily has no boundaries when it comes to being physical with Reeve and that really disturbed me. She says something in the second half of the book that just made me want to climb into the book and knock some sense into her. I love women to be empowered and know when to say “no”, but, unfortunately, I didn’t really get that from Emily.
However, I am hoping the second book shows me a stronger side of Emily and maybe even a different side of Reeve?
That cliffhanger!! That bloody, cliffhanger! Ahh!!
I’m usually good at guessing how a book is going to end and I really didn’t see that coming so kudos to the author for shocking me with the ending which is a pretty rare occurrence lol.
I need to have closure after this book so I will definitely be reading the second book. I am not completely sure, but I believe it is a duology.
Final verdict: 4 out of 5 stars!
Special thanks to the publisher for approving my request to read this book through Netgalley!! 🙂
Add to your TBR: